Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Project 4: Lazy Susan




This is a small, quick project. I wasn't going to share this one because I had a much bigger one I've been working on and I thought it would be done by today. But life is what happens when you're busy making other plans right? My life today consists of disinfecting the house and picking up a sick little boy from school. We are a family that catches every bug. But not the boy...until today. Like his usual self though, it's not keeping him from playing video games or watching Legends of Chima.

But, on to project number 4. This was my mother's lazy susan. It's just a cheap Ikea-ish thing. Now that we have a round table is has become an intricate part of our dinner routine. Most condiments and small sides are placed on it and everyone can serve themselves. This has become the best part of our new dining room set up. I can eat. Usually I'm interrupted 10 times during dinner having to serve someone more helpings, pass a dish or just hand the salt. Now I get to eat my own food during dinner. It's luxurious. Like being able to pee by yourself. Ahhh the joys of small children. :)

I liked the lazy susan but knew I was going to end up painting it. I'm trying not to paint EVERYTHING aqua blue so the next best thing was Jadeite green. A while back our local paint store sent a coupon for a free color matched quart of paint. The guy was a little perplexed about matching a glass bowl but I think he got it pretty spot on. These little jadeite restaurant ware dishes from the 1940's are possibly the most used dish in my kitchen. Perfect for microwaving one egg or holding anything small....like a bunch of hardware while you're painting, as they are doing here. I made the jadeite paint color into a batch of homemade chalk paint. The basic recipe is one part plaster of paris to three parts paint. Add enough water to the plaster of paris to make it smooth and creamy and then mix in the paint. After painting I wax over the paint with Paste Wax. I ran out of the Annie Sloan clear wax long ago. I still have a full can of the dark wax I don't think I'll ever finish with.

I like how it turned out but the color is grating on me. It's so bright....I'll probably just paint it aqua anyway. Oh well. I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment