Monday, February 3, 2014

A cozy corner of my world

I headed out to the local thrift stores to look for some storage to anchor my newly covered dining room seating.   I only knew I was looking for something that would fit my space and had some closed storage.   At the local St. Vincent DePaul's, I happened upon a coordinating set of cabinets for $25 each!  They fit perfectly, maximize our vertical space and have fun features like a wine rack, pull out bar and lighted shelves.



I took them home and mixed up a fresh batch of white chalk paint.  Not white, white, more of an antique white.   It took about 3-4 coats of paint to cover up the dark espresso finish of the pair, but the effort paid off in a big way.

And yes, I do typically paint things right where they are. Without a drop cloth. It works for me. I waxed them, which for most people is the most tiring part of using chalk paint. But I found this handy waxing pad that fits on my drill. It was sold as a part of a headlight repair kit, but I knew just what I would use it for. No more achy arms for me!


I put the hardware on and loaded them up with wine from our Fall trip to Napa and our collection of 1950s Anchor Hocking Capri Colony glass dishes.


We had been searching for padded chairs that were sturdy and wipeable.  We had gone to numerous furniture stores and thrift shops.   As I was putting the cabinets in place, I realized I only needed to go "shopping" in my own house.  These chairs were part of a set I purchased off of Craigslist a few years ago.  The 1950's aqua formica table and matching vinyl chairs live in our lower "kids" level of the house and is frequently used for crafts, coloring and bug making.   Moved to our dining room, these chairs look retro- modern, bright and are super comfortable!  

So here's our dining space  ...........



rewritten...................



No comments:

Post a Comment