Monday, January 13, 2014

Project 3: Banquette seating slipcover

I knew I wanted a slipcover on the banquette but I didn't think I'd have to do it this soon. My dog loves this bench, she might think it is her dog bed. I went shopping at Joann's for a fabric but didn't find anything I loved. I'm very picky when it comes to prints. So many times I feel like I'm looking at one of those magic eye puzzles. I rarely wear prints as well. I did find a print I liked in my hall closet. An old shower curtain! Not the plastic kind though, the fabric decorative ones. I knew the colors would work because I always pick the same colors. Brown, tan, cream and my signature color, aqua. My friends don't even call it anything but "your color". The funny thing is my oldest sister has a very similar color, turquoise, just a bit brighter. Maybe I take after her more than my other sisters ;)


I cut off the top portion of the shower curtain that you would normally hang the rings through.

 Next I started pinning the pieces directly on the banquette, wrong side up of course.

 I then market the contours of the sofa so when I sewed it on the machine I would have the lines exact. I used one of my kids washable markers so it will disappear the first time I wash the slipcover.

Next I used a flat iron to shape a rolled shirt hem into the edges.

Then I took the slipcover to my machine a sewed.

It was mostly a box shape so it was a pretty easy project for my first ever slipcover.


1 comment:

  1. Hi! I love your work here! Your use of the hair straightener is brilliant.
    I notice the slipcover is tucked into the crease between the seat and back, and I am wondering how you dealt with that extra fabric when sewing the sides on.

    ReplyDelete