Tuesday, January 22, 2013

New life to an old dresser




We are geeky board gamers. Ever since being introduced to Settlers of Catan by my brother in law a few years ago, our collection has been growing. It has also been making my serene living room look rather cluttered. I knew I wanted some closed storage and a dresser seemed ideal. I looked on craigslist, thrift stores and antique shops before I happened upon this beauty. It is a 1940's waterfall style dresser with the original handles. The insides of the drawers are even laminated with birds eye maple. I used homemade chalk paint that didn't quite work as well as usual. I don't know how the paint was different, but it took 8-10 coats in some places. I don't typically distress anything I paint but I wanted this to look a little more handed-down than my typical modern pieces. I love the way it turned out and that it is so light it doesn't seem like a large looming piece of furniture in the room. All of my games and half of my photo albums are now stored behind closed drawers.

No comments:

Post a Comment