Thursday, May 9, 2013

More Fence Recycling




I finished another project this week with some of our old fence wood. We have quite a large pile of this beautiful old weathered wood so I'm just itching to use it. I've wanted to put up something to display photos, artwork, homework or the many various "projects" the kids have done. Two houses ago (my first home I ever purchased) I had a curtain rod in the hallway with clips attached that I regularly changed out artwork and photos. At one point it even held our certificates of completion for our foster care training. That was B.C. , what we call Before Children.

For this project I lightly painted a piece of the wood, I didn't even pre-sand. I purchased some clips at an office supply store and screwed them directly to the wood. I printed an outline of the letters and traced them onto the wood. Normally I would use transfer paper but since this wood is so soft I just outlined the letters and it transferred to the surface. I colored in the letters and then sanded a little to make it look worn. Hopefully you can see in the close up the beautiful indentions, surface weathering and texture of the wood. I hung it on the wall at kid height so I can let them hang up their own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment